Eaglemoss Enterprise NCC-1701D...First Parts Build

DRharris

SPECIALIST 1ST CLASS
I'm going to blame this build on World Of Wayne. I saw his You Tube video on Issue 1 a few months ago, but didn't think I would like that type of build. I was a bit snob nosed about not having to use glue and paint and putty, etc. Believe me, I have no right to have that attitude. Anyway, I happened on it again about 6 weeks ago and after much waffling, I decided to try it. Long story short, I've had the 1st issue for a month, but hadn't started it. I actually wanted to wait until issue 2 arrived so I could test the LEDs in stage 1. But issue 2 is now delayed (imagine that with Eaglemoss 😁 ). So I might as well get on with it.

First thing I did was repaint the flush vents. May be overkill, but I sprayed them with adhesion promotor, then applied several light coats of Tamiya gray primer. Had planned to spray them with Vallejo Model Air Light Gray, but to my surprise the primer was an almost perfect match to hull color
IMG_0592.JPGIMG_0593.JPG
After that was set aside to dry, I set to the task of opening up the bridge dome. I first used a fresh-tipped #11 X-acto blade to mark the center, then began with 1mm drill bit in a pin vise. progressed upwards to a 1.5mm, then 2mm, then 2.4, 2.6, 2.8, and finally a 3mm to finish. I'm happy with how it looks. A tiny drill bit nick of the paint on the edge of the hole, but easily touched up and will never be noticed.
IMG_0594.JPGIMG_0595.JPGIMG_0596.JPGIMG_0597.JPGIMG_0598.JPG
And that's where it stands for the night. Will paint the inside of the hole light gray and then add Solarez clear resin for the dome.

I did do a short intro video on You Tube a few days ago. Here's the link.
Completely amateur with basic amateur camera equipment.

Stay safe everyone.
 

DRharris

SPECIALIST 1ST CLASS
Quick update. One build I watched on You Tube indicated that the black light blocking paint on the clear insert for the deck 2 windows didn't fully cover the 'dark' window tabs completely, causing light bleed around some of the 'dark' windows. His solution (sorry I don't remember who as I have watched probably a 1/2 dozen different build series) was to extend the black paint around the 'dark' window tabs while being careful not to get any on the clear tabs. Seemed reasonable, so I spent halftime of last nights MNF Raiders/Ravens game doing just that. Used black craft acrylic paint and a detail brush. Think it turned out just fine. Won't know for sure until I can test it.
IMG_0599.JPG
 

DRharris

SPECIALIST 1ST CLASS
Finished the bridge dome tonight. Taped off the base of the hole with scotch tape, then let the resin slowly flow into the hole from the top. I hit it with the UV light in short 1-2 second bursts at first so as to not create any bubbles. Turned out when it was cured the resin had settled below the edge, so I just added another small drop and repeated the procedure. There's now a nice even dome, but not so much as to sit too high. The resin I used was Solarez clear doming resin.
IMG_0607.JPGIMG_0608.JPGIMG_0609.JPG
 

DRharris

SPECIALIST 1ST CLASS
Started and finished Stage 1 today. I did record it (51+ minutes, yikes!) but haven't uploaded it to YouTube yet. I covered what modifications were made off camera prior to assembly. Nothing that many others haven't already done. Here are some screenshots from the video of the different assembly steps. I really need to figure out the new camera I bought so I can do a two camera set up.
MAH00696(1).jpgMAH00696(2).jpgMAH00697(1).jpgMAH00697(2).jpgMAH00698(1).jpgMAH00699(1).jpg
 
Top