Filling Starship Windows?

DRharris

I've reached the last leg of my 1/1400 Enterprise E build, and I've run into an issue with the windows I'm trying to fill with Canopy glue. Namely, I can't find anything that will dispense only enough to fill the window without spilling on the surrounding surfaces. Those windows are so tiny. I've tried dipping the tip of a toothpick in the glue but the glue drop is still too large for the window being filled. And when I wipe away the excess with a damp paper towel or cotton bud it leaves behind a film on the surrounding area. Does anyone have a super secret method/device for filling these tiny window openings?

Tshark

Try acrylic nail powder using scotch tape to cover the window on the outside surface. Once dry remove the tape and give a light sand if needed to make flush with the outer surface.

Kenny Conklin

Administrator
Staff member
Try acrylic nail powder using scotch tape to cover the window on the outside surface. Once dry remove the tape and give a light sand if needed to make flush with the outer surface.
That is how I do it :) after watching Boyd I have to try the Solarez stuff though it looks good.

DRharris

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm using Canopy glue because it will dry a little cloudy. The Solarez, per Boyd, will dry crystal clear, so no light diffusion. Elmer's all-purpose white glue would be best, but it's thicker than the Canopy glue. Mainly, it's about application since the windows are so small. I'm thinking of trying a sewing needle next. The acrylic nail powder sounds workable, but I'm afraid to use any tape on the surface. Even with two coats of clear, I'm afraid of peeling off decals, and these aren't replaceable. And isn't the nail powder toxic to inhale, or am I thinking of the dental acrylic Boyd mentioned in a recent build video?

Kenny Conklin

Administrator
Staff member
Nail powder isn't the bad part of the process it is the liquid that is horrible. Smells bad and will give you a headache very quickly.