lighting circuits

DavidPapow

RECRUIT
Since I make most of my own circuits, I tend to go as simple as possible. For non IC circuits, I use a 3VDC setup. Most LED's bias between 2.2 and 3VDC. For circuits containing IC's, I use 6VDC since most IC chips run on 5VDC. This reduces the amount of resisters needed to drop voltages( which create unwanted heat in your model) to the voltage levels for the IC's/LED's. This also gives the IC's/LED's a better chance of surviving should a resister fail with a short. I posted two photos of my Falcon, which runs on a 3VDC circuit. I have dedicated resistors to each LED to distribute heat evenly and protect the LED's individually. My design is meant to last a very long time. The total cost to make both circuits was less than $5. as you can see, the circuits are very bright.

Attachments

• 117336391_1694963070669073_5859355538626973393_o.jpg
    117336391_1694963070669073_5859355538626973393_o.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14

lalorm

RECRUIT
Since I make most of my own circuits, I tend to go as simple as possible. For non IC circuits, I use a 3VDC setup. Most LED's bias between 2.2 and 3VDC. For circuits containing IC's, I use 6VDC since most IC chips run on 5VDC. This reduces the amount of resisters needed to drop voltages( which create unwanted heat in your model) to the voltage levels for the IC's/LED's. This also gives the IC's/LED's a better chance of surviving should a resister fail with a short. I posted two photos of my Falcon, which runs on a 3VDC circuit. I have dedicated resistors to each LED to distribute heat evenly and protect the LED's individually. My design is meant to last a very long time. The total cost to make both circuits was less than $5. as you can see, the circuits are very bright.
Hi David, cool work on the Falcon. I have a question. So for each light you have a resister. Ideally I'd like to do the same. I'm currently building a model with a lot of 0402 SMD LEDs but I don't have the ability to add a resister per SMD. The model will have somewhere around 80 - 100 LEDS in total so I'm thinking of using a 24V power supply and grouping LEDs together in bunches of 10 and using 1 resister for each bunch. Do you think that should be ok? Any advice would be really welcome as I don't have much of a clue when it comes to lighting.

DavidPapow

RECRUIT
Hi David, cool work on the Falcon. I have a question. So for each light you have a resister. Ideally I'd like to do the same. I'm currently building a model with a lot of 0402 SMD LEDs but I don't have the ability to add a resister per SMD. The model will have somewhere around 80 - 100 LEDS in total so I'm thinking of using a 24V power supply and grouping LEDs together in bunches of 10 and using 1 resister for each bunch. Do you think that should be ok? Any advice would be really welcome as I don't have much of a clue when it comes to lighting.
Are there any IC's in this model?

lalorm

RECRUIT
Are there any IC's in this model?
I don't know what you mean by IC's. I'm a novice when it comes to electronics sorry. They are all SMD 0402 white with some red and green 0402 SMD also. I've wired them in parallel red to red, black to black etc. Adding more lights today and I should have the final count soon. I can work out the resistors then hopefully. Worst case, I'll only be able to use lighting on the roof section