Replacement for Testors decal bonder?

So... Rustoleum/Testors has cancelled their decal bonder. What are you all using as a replacement for it, and is your replacement compatible with decal softening agents (for example Microsol)?

Last edited:

Spencer Wolfe

Administrator
Staff member
I seem to recall JT graphics instructions once saying a couple of fine mists of clear lacquer if you were ever suspicious of his decals (since lacquer isn't supposed to be water soluble), but I've never had the guts to try that.
Hmm. Decal Bonder actually had the exact same ingredients as Testor's gloscote lacquer ratte cans, but it had much more solvents/thinners in it to make a very thin coat. I was worried about trying glosscote since it would be thicker and I didn't know if it would have cracking issues when the decals formed around contors, or that if the thicker coat might keep decal softening agents like Solvaset or Microsol from working properly.

Microscale decal film is excellent and self-leveling brushed on
How well self-leveled is it on large decals, like "wallpapering" aztec pattern decals? I looked it up after reading your post and it's apparently not good for airbrushes but alot of people like it for brushing on.

Jalyn

MASTER CHIEF PETTY OFFICER
How well self-leveled is it on large decals, like "wallpapering" aztec pattern decals? I looked it up after reading your post and it's apparently not good for airbrushes but alot of people like it for brushing on.
Haven't done one that size but found it to be better than possibly Future. I've never seen brush marks.