Hi all, here is the final paint scheme for the ship. I wanted the top deck area to have a bit more detailing, so I took a chance on adding loads of very thin vinyl tape over most of the top decking area, this was sprayed over with Tamiya LP-35 Insignia white.
Then the vinyl stripes were removed to reveal the black lines, trust me it looks better later! Next, I got my local vinyl cutter guy to make up 12 masks panels; I had drawn out the panel shapes from a plastic template used for plumbing fixture plans. I then set about airbrushing hundreds of the panels, first with a mix of AK Real colors RCO21 Pale grey, mixed with Tamiya XF-2 Flat white, thinned with Rapid thinner.
I then added a few panels sprayed with a mix of AK real colors RC003 White grey, mixed with AK RC221 ADC grey. This gave a warm white/grey tone. I then sprayed a thinned blending coat of Tamiya Flat white mixed with ADC grey. Next, I sprayed a thin coat of AK RC508 clear smoke, in the areas like the side trenches to give a slight shadow effect. The whole ship was sealed with AK RC502 gloss varnish mixed with 50% rapid thinners and left to dry overnight.
Then I sprayed a few light coats of Flory Models grey weathering clay wash. This gave another blending coat. Once this had dried, I only lightly removed it with a damp cloth (old T-shirt). I then spent a good few hours, cutting back all of the fibre strands with my new Tamiya PE scissors; they were ideal for this purpose.
I then gave the ship a final coat of Alclad II ALC 313-60 Matte clear, mixed 50% with rapid thinners. Some highly thinned 502 Star Ship filth oil wash was gently brushed into areas, such as the side trenches and deck sides/rear engines, to bring out all of the detailing. Once dry, a quick check to make sure all of the lighting was still working, which thankfully it was.
Overall, I am delighted with the look of the ship; it’s got a bluish grey tone to the overall colour, but changes to a very light grey in bright lighting. The panelling I think looks in scale with the ship, and the lighting in person looks amazing. Next is to fit all of the wiring and control boards into the base and then mount the ship on the base stand.
Hi folks, well I am calling this done, I ordered some replacement shield generator towers from Shapeways, as the kit resin items were a bit fragile and crude in details compared to 3D printed ones. I also ordered a Rebel Blockade Runner and some TIE fighters that were about the size of a grain of rice!
The tiny Imperial Shuttle did come with the kit, I wasn't too sure how the final display would be presented, in the end I opted for the traditional captured Blockade Runner from the original movie opening scene. But I had a bit of fun photographing the various options.
Happy modelling and may the Force be with you!
Finally, if you want to see the work in progress of this build, click here.
I've also created some videos to compliment the model.