I decided to pic up a build that I started on a build weekend pre corona, and since then been sitting on my shelf waiting to be finished.
The kit is Academy's P-47 Thunderbolt "Eileen".
Left to do is the decals and final assembly and I thought it could be a good warm up for a shelf queen GB.
I started with the big stripe decals and the checker ones for the engine cowlings. The decals didn't want to work with me at all, being very stiff and started to break when I tried to make them conform to the curved surfaces, and also my microsol didn't seem to have much effect on them.
So I decided to mask and paint the stripes and checker pattern instead. Easier said than done, actually!
Here's some pics of the paint process and finished result after some adjustments.
I hope the rest of the decals will be more straight forward even if the decals seems to be hard to get down on the surface properly.
I think something somewhat stronger than microsol could do the trick, but I don't have anything else at the moment.
A wet and heated cotton bud on the wing marking helped a bit.
Been busy all day helping my sons getting furniture transported and in place to their new apartment.
It's taken a while partly due to a delayed renovation (paint job mostly). And some other things that needed to be sorted first.
Now I/we have an empty room, that probably will be turned into a guest room, but i hope I can use some of the space to put some guitars and built models there.
But will get back to the hobby room tomorrow.
Not the best behaving decals I've worked with, and I still need to use more softener to see if I can get them to sit better without silvering.
Still got all the stencils to do and I also need to check if all the parts are done for the final assembly.